Registration Now Open for the 2019-2020 Season
Get registered early for to take advantage of our early bird discount
Objectives & Expected Level Of Play by Division
As the introductory stage to organized hockey, SMHA's hockey program emphasizes the three following areas:
- Fun - It is SMHA's goal for all players to enjoy the game of hockey while learning new and challenging skills. By placing an emphasis on fun, SMHA feels that players will come to a deeper appreciation for the sport of Hockey.
- Athletic and Skill Development - In a safe, caring environment, SMHA will educate our beginners on the importance of athleticism and good sportsmanship with a structured program.
- Positive Environment - Through a caring and personal approach, SMHA wishes to provide each player with a safe and positive environment that will foster life skills.
The program is based on a teaching curriculum that incorporates all the appropriate skills for the age level. Novice is a 2 year program designed for players to build on the skills acquired during the Initiation stage. Some team tactics are introduced to players over the course of the 2 year Novice program.
The goals for the Novice age category are:
- review the basic skills
- refining basic skills, doing it correctly and then doing it faster
- introduction to team tactics
- achieving all of the above while still having fun
At the Atom level, players will continue to focus on the skills taught at the Initiation and Novice levels. The progressions will ultimately lead to the ability to execute individual tactics in a collective environment.
The goals for the Atom age category are:
- Intro to team tactics
- Refining of basic skills, doing it correctly and then doing it faster
- Achieving all of the above while still having fun
The Peewee age group is the most significant period for hockey development. This is the window of accelerated adaptation to motor coordination. Group interaction, team building and social activities should be emphasized.
Goals for the Peewee Age Category are:
- Refining of individual tactics
- Intro to team play
At the Bantam age players should begin to consolidate the basic technical skills of the game. An increased focus on hockey should take place along with the introduction and development of advanced group/team tactics.
Goals for the Bantam Age Category are:
- Refining team play
- Intro to team strategy
Follow us on Facebook!
About Smithers Minor Hockey
We are a community based organization that is focused on providing a fun, challenging, and comprehensive hockey development program for youth in the Smithers area.